Two of the four world regions, Europe and Asia Pacific, showed an increase in hotel pipeline activity at the end of the third quarter, according to September 2021 data from STR.
September 2021 (% changes in comparison with September 2020)
- In Construction: 230,265 rooms (+6.6%)
- Final Planning: 171,988 rooms (+5.9%)
- Planning: 148,565 rooms (-4.8%)
- Total Under Contract: 550,818 (+3.1%)
Germany (46,494) and the U.K. (35,196) lead Europe in total rooms in construction.
- In Construction: 478,193 rooms (0.0%)
- Final Planning: 178,195 rooms (+5.3%)
- Planning: 288,227 rooms (+16.0%)
- Total Under Contract: 944,615 rooms (+5.4%)
Among countries in the region, China has the most rooms in construction (295,989), followed by Vietnam (29,178).
Middle East & Africa
- In Construction: 135,217 rooms (-7.6%)
- Final Planning: 40,539 rooms (-16.6%)
- Planning: 62,679 rooms (-0.6%)
- Total Under Contract: 238,435 (-7.8%)
Saudi Arabia (42,008) and United Arab Emirates (34,935) lead in construction activity.
- In Construction: 228,662 rooms (-16.6%)
- Final Planning: 247,381 rooms (-15.9%)
- Planning: 301,333 rooms (+36.1%)
- Total Under Contract: 777,376 (-1.6%)
The U.S. holds the majority of rooms in construction in the region. In addition to the U.S., Mexico (14,763) and Brazil (7,680) have the highest number of rooms in construction in the region.
STR provides premium data benchmarking, analytics and marketplace insights for the global hospitality industry. Founded in 1985, STR maintains a presence in 15 countries with a corporate North American headquarters in Hendersonville, Tennessee, an international headquarters in London, and an Asia Pacific headquarters in Singapore. STR was acquired in October 2019 by CoStar Group, Inc. (NASDAQ: CSGP), the leading provider of commercial real estate information, analytics and online marketplaces.